Vezza d’Oglio is part of the Alpine valley populated in the prehistorical age by the tenacious population of Valle Camonica; evidence of their civilisation can still be observed today on the enormous erratic block, known as ‘Sass de la Stria’, on the slopes of Mt. Plaza. The valley wasn’t conquered by the Romans until 16 B.C., under the reins of Emperor Augustus; their influence can be seen right up to the present day in the organisation of the Alpine system of land management in Grano and in Tù. The Longobards invaded in the 6th century, as did Charlemagne’s troops in 774; he gave many lots of land in this territory to the Tours monastic communities and, in this very period, the ancient church “San Martino” was founded. The era of the powerful Federici family began around 1300, with members of the family scattered throughout the valley who also settled in Vezza; their stately home remains to be seen beside the Parish Church; its red sandstone portal with their coat-of-arms is still visible, as are the ruins of their medieval tower. The Federici family ruled over the entire valley until struggles for power induced the family to fight amongst themselves. More recent history, in the guise of the 3rd War of Independence, saw the battle of Vezza d’Oglio on 4th July 1866, when a regiment of volunteers under Garibaldi joined the Italian light-infantry-men to challenge the Austrians, affirming their valour. This historical event was significant to the point that a war memorial named “4th July 1866” was erected in the town’s main square, along with an ossuary in the cemetery. The battles which involved the town have, over time, left behind them traces of both ancient and more recent fortifications such as “Il Castellino” on the promontory which is worthy of note or those marking the 2nd line of defence in the First World War (“Cima Ravaia” summit 2530m). This brief historical summary cannot omit reference to the area’s most important artistic heritage. The S. Clemente church is one of the oldest in the valley, dating back, in fact, to the 12th century; it originally served as a hermitage, offering shelter to pilgrims travelling along the ancient Roman road “Via Valeriana” which, from Lake Iseo, ascended the valley up to the “Tonale” and “Gavia” passes. The Parish Church was rebuilt during the second half of 1700 after a fire had ravished much of the town. Within, precious works are to be found; the monumental 17th century wooden ancona which contains a small 16th century ancona, numerous richly engraved marble altars, precious wooden statues, works by the Fantoni brothers and huge canvases from the Moretto school. The 18th century organ is also noteworthy, as are the portal-jambs (1584) in Vezza d’Oglio White Marble. The use of this marble has been well-documented over the centuries; Valle Camonica own many examples from Roman times to the present day. The remains of the last marble quarry, used from the end of 1800 until 1961 can still be seen.